Abroad thoughts, from home

I need a holiday. Not for any particular reasons of rest or relaxation, but I've forgotten what the sun actually looks like. Even my pasty Celtic skin needs occasional UV rays, and I suspect I may be about to develop rickets. Britain is still lingering through the coldest winter in 30 years, and while the snow may not have been particlarly apocalyptic here in central London, it's been grey and cold and wet and miserable for a depressingly long time. Usually by now we've got a few signs of life such as snowdrops or a few confused trees bursting forth in blossom, but everything outside my window (not that you get much in the way of nature in Hackney) is resolutely dead. I'm hoping that when the spring finally gets here, it'll be akin to Aslan's return to Narnia: I'll wake up one morning to a glorious and magical transformation. A girl can dream.

There was no trace of the fog now. The sky became bluer and bluer, and now there were white clouds hurrying across it from time to time. In the wide glades there were primroses. A light breeze sprang up which scattered drops of moisture from the swaying branches and carried cool, delicious scents against the faces of the travellers. The trees began to come fully alive. The larches and birches were covered with green, the laburnums with gold. Soon the beech trees had put forth their delicate, transparent leaves. As the travellers walked under them the light also became green. A bee buzzed across their path.

"This is no thaw," said the dwarf, suddenly stopping. "This is Spring."

C.S. Lewis - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

In other news, I'm still applying for jobs. Graduate schemes are looking increasingly impossible to elbow my way into, so I've started looking at more general admin work. Providing I remember to wear my glasses (which it pains me to wear as reading glasses seem to be associated with people at least twice my age), I have no problems with sitting in front of a computer all day. I'm a student, it's what I do best.

I saw a wonderful friend of mine today from the Netherlands, who brought me over a 600g packet of hagelslag. And bought me a vegetarian fry-up and coffee in Wetherspoons. This is why I love him. Hagelslag is a rather marvellous invention: chocolate sprinkles that you pour over hot buttered toast and eat for breakfast. The Dutch are truly amazing. It was also great to see him and have a catch-up. Last time I saw him was in June for my birthday, and I'm eternally grateful he was randomly placed in room 424 while we were both hostelling in Melbourne.

The eagle-eyed among you may have spotted that my profile picture has changed. Today I hit 1,000 site views (it may be a negligable amount to most, but I'm quite proud of it) and decided nothing says "celebration" quite like sparkly silver deely boppers.